Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Homemade luxury liver pâté

































Here you have the recipe for a real wonderful liver pâté according to what my family and readers tells me. I make sure that my family consume this wonderfully nutrient dense super food on a regular basis. My youngest daughter absolutely loves it! So let me tempt you with this luxury recipe, giving the final result a nice rounded flavour. Even my stepfather, who grew up in Denmark - the land of the liver pâté  expressed a state of euphoria when he first tasted this recipe.

Topped with home made pickles this one is a sure winner in my kitchen! 


Recipe:

500 gram liver, I use ecological chicken liver
4-5 garlic cloves
1 medium sized onion
1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
1 tbsp tamari
2 tsp unrefined mineral salt
2 eggs from happy chickens
1 tbsp arrowroot, potato or maize starch
150 g melted butter or ghee
100 g bacon, schooled in small squares. I use bacon from pigs that have been allowed to live a natural life outdoors eating natural food
2 cm ginger, finely grated
pepper

Instructions:
Wash and rinse the liver well. Crisp the bacon in a frying pan using the butter or ghee. Add onion and continue frying till the onion turns a nice golden colour, then add the garlic and quickly toss the mix a few times before you take it of the heat so the garlic does not burn. 

In a food processor fitted with an s-blade combine the rest of the ingredients and swirl for a short minute before you add the bacon/butter mixture and let it mix a few more minutes till it´s become a smooth batter.

Pour the relatively liquidy batter into a buttered bread tin. You bake the pâté in the middle of the oven in a water bath, placing the tin in a deep oven tray filled with water, on a 160 degrees for 50 minutes.

Let it cool completely before carefully tilting it out of the tin if you wish to do so. 

TIP: Ceylon cinnamon smooths out the liver taste and gives it a nice round flavour. I learned this from Norwegian/American nutritionalist Sally Haugen. You can read her blog, in Norwegain, HERE! She has also translated my books into English, because, as I am sure you already have noticed: I am not English ;-)


PS: Liver pâté also freezes well, so make some extra when you´re at it and fill up the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment